Billing, fines, and fees
The library has a limited collection of materials; timely return is encouraged by charging fines for late return. It is the responsibility of the patron to bring material borrowed back on time and to pay the fines and fees established by this library. This policy is to ensure a fair and equitable fine and fee structure and procedure.
Overdue Items and Fines
- Fines for all items are ten (10) cents per item per day. Fines do not accrue on days the library is closed.
- The maximum overdue fine that can accumulate for an item is ten dollars ($10) or an amount equal to the cost of the item if the cost is less than ten dollars ($10).
- Overdue notices will be printed and mailed or emailed once a week. The first notice will be sent when the material is at least seven (7) days overdue, a second notice a week later, and a final notice will be sent two (2) weeks after that when the material is at least twenty-eight (28) days overdue.
- Ninety days (90) after the due date, the items will be considered as “Lost” and the patron will be charged the replacement cost of the item and the accumulated fines.
- Patrons may not borrow material when they have overdue or lost items, or when their fines have accumulated to $2.00 or higher. Once a patron has accumulated any fine, all computer privileges are lost until the fines are completely paid.
- If materials are lost the patron will be charged the cost of replacing the item. The patron has the option of getting permission from the Director to replace material. Fines will be waived if patron pays for or replaces the material. The patron will be given a dated receipt showing the cost of the item.
- If the patron has paid for the item and returns it in circulating condition within thirty (30) days of the date of the receipt, the replacement cost will be refunded. If more than thirty (30) days has elapsed when the item is found, it is considered to be the property of the patron and no refund will be given.
- When an item is damaged beyond reasonable repair, the patron will be charged the item’s replacement cost. Patrons will be notified by phone of damaged materials. No overdue fines are added to the cost for a damaged item when it is paid for and the patron may keep the item.
- Generally, the full cost of replacing an item is charged if it is greatly damaged (wet, mildewed, stained, scribbled, chewed, scratched, broken, etc.). There will be no charge for audio or video tapes broken during ordinary play.
- If minor damage or small markings have occurred, a charge of fifty (.50) cents to one ($1.00) dollar will be charged.
- Cost for damaged or lost items:
|Plastic Audiobook Case||$10.00|
|Plastic CD Box||$1.00|
|Plastic Media Bag||$1.00 (small) $2.50 (large)|
|Plastic Video/DVD Box||$1.00 (single) $2.00 (double)|
|Plastic Book Pocket||$1.00|
Damaged/missing Pieces to Games,
Charge will be determined by library staff;
If a patron fails to return library materials for two months or more after the due date the library reserves the right to pursue legal avenues set forth in section 714.5 of the Iowa Code.
If a patron attempts to conceal library materials or equipment either on library premises or outside library premises the library reserves the right to pursue legal avenues set for in section 714.5 and section 808.12 of the Iowa Code.
|Library Card Replacement||$1.00|
|Photocopies||$.10-1.00 (depending on color and size)|
|Fax (incoming)||$.25 (per page)|
|Fax (outgoing)||$1.00 for first page, $.25 for each additional page|
|Interlibrary Loan Request||$1.25|
|Laminating||$.30 (per square foot)|
|Media Left in Book Drop||$1.00 (per item)|
|Disc Repair||$1.00 (per disc)|
|Non-Resident Library Card||$50.00 (per patron)|
Adopted September 19, 2011,
Revised and approved January 27, 2014, September 15, 2014